Our Speech and Drama Courses aim to develop communication and creative skills. The syllabuses are designed as a series of on-going grades that focus on consistent enhancement of abilities. We offer four options through which students can further their progress.
- Speech and Drama: Grades 1 – 8, Performer Certificate
- Acting In Pairs: Grades 1 – 8
- Verse and Prose: Grades 1 – 8
- Effective Text Communication: Grades 1 – 8
Students study and learn to perform a wide selection of literature including poetry, prose and plays from Sri Lanka and around the world. This benefits students academically and also introduces them to global cultures and artistic traditions.
Through performing individually and in groups, students learn to express themselves with confidence, gain teamwork and leadership skills, and explore their creative talents and potential. Through techniques such as Improvisation, students also gain tools with which to create their own original work.
The courses culminate in a professional teaching qualification that is recognised locally and internationally. Many of our students have gone on to have successful careers in teaching, theatre, television, radio, politics, marketing and communications.
Key skills at a glance
- Vocal clarity and projection
- Physical expression and agility
- Acting and Interpretation
- Performance styles
- Genres in Theatre and Literature
- Theoretical knowledge
- Literary knowledge of verse, prose and drama from different periods in literary history
- Impromptu performance and speeches